Gasworks Residency Open Call 2017
This opportunity will enable an aspiring Czech artist or artist based in the Czech Republic to undertake a fully-funded residency at Gasworks in London from 3 April – 26 June 2017. Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation.
Supported by the Czech Centre London and Arts and Theatre Institute
Residency for Czech artist or artist based in the Czech Republic, 3 April – 26 June 2017
Application Deadline: 10am, Wednesday 2 November 2016
The Residency Comprises:
- 24-hour access to a studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
- An Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
- Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 3-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence)
- Basic living expenses in London (a weekly stipend of £150p/w)
- Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
- Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)
Selection and Eligibility
The residency is open to contemporary visual artists working in all disciplines, though one must note Gasworks’ restricted facilities. Aspiring artists producing high quality work who have not had the opportunity to work in London before will be prioritised. Applicants should have at least a moderate level of spoken English, and should feel comfortable engaging in artistic discussions in English. It is important that all applicants research Gasworks thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering.
The selected artist should be able to engage discursively and speculatively with Gasworks' environment and London's wider artistic and cultural context. With this in mind, applicants should submit a project proposal outlining their specific research interests and intentions for the residency. Those who fail to submit a considered proposal that is specific to this residency and the London context will be disqualified.
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. A decision will be made by a selection committee comprising: Alessio Antoniolli (Director, Gasworks and Triangle Network), Robert Leckie (Curator, Gasworks), Markéta Černá (Arts Institute), and Tereza Porybná (Director, Czech Centre London). The successful artist only will be notified by Monday 21 November 2016.
We accept digital applications only. Please note that there is a 10MB limit on each email sent to us. If your email is over 10MB you will receive a message saying ‘mailbox is full’ when you submit your application. In this instance please check the file size of your application and re-size or send your files via ‘we transfer’ or a similar file sharing service, if necessary.
Please use the attached application form and save as a PDF. Your application should also include the following materials as ONE separate PDF:
1. A CV detailing recent solo and group exhibitions, workshops and residencies
2. Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
3. Images - please submit at least 10 good quality images of your recent work. The images should include captions or short descriptions.
4. Videos/films - we recommend providing links to your own website, Vimeo page, youtube page, etc. Please do not send video files.
Please send all documents in PDF format and using your own name, please label your files: Lastname_Firstname_Application and Lastname_Firstname_Materials.
Application Deadline: 10am (GMT), Wednesday 2 November 2016
Applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the application form here:
Cover image: Barbora Kleinhamplová: Hand over Heels. Open Studio, Gasworks, London, 2016. Courtesy of the artist. Photo: Barbora Kleinhamplová.