18 Feb 2015 - 1 Mar 2015
Věra Chytilová Competition
To complement the BFI Southbank’s tribute to Věra Chytilová, one of the key filmmakers of the 60s, the BFI and the Czech Centre London have put together a fantastic goody bag worth over £300.
Goody bag contents include:
- A pair of tickets to a film and/or event of your choice in the BFI’s Věra Chytilová season in March.
- Two books by Bohumil Hrabal, one of the finest Czech writers of the 20th century, courtesy of the Czech Centre. Titles include Closely Observed Trains and Too Loud a Solitude.
- A piece of designer jewellery to be created by a leading Czech designer during the Once Upon a Time fashion exhibition. The exhibition will feature five emerging Czech designers and is organised by the Czech Centre London as part of the International Fashion Showcase 2015 with London Fashion Week.
- A £20 voucher for the purchase of original Czech film posters from Subtitles Cafe.
- Věra Chytilová DVDs courtesy of Second Run DVD: Daisies and Traps. Daisies is one of the landmarks of Czech cinema, a riotous, punk-rock poem of a film that is both hilarious and mind-warpingly innovative. Daisies continues to provoke, stimulate and entertain audiences - and its influence is still felt today. Traps is a controversial and disturbing satire of violence, violation and veterinary practice; a wild, angry analysis of morality, power and twisted masculine attitudes in contemporary society.
- A copy of the latest edition of Sight & Sound where Michael Brooke pays homage to the artistic achievements of Věra Chytilová.
To enter, answer this question:
Why was Tainted Horseplay (1989), released just before the Velvet Revolution, considered so controversial at the time?
Simply email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org with VERA in the subject header by 1 March. One winner will be chosen at random.
Terms and Conditions
Part of Defiance and Compassion: The Films of Věra Chytilová
From: 18 Feb 2015
To: 1 Mar 2015
Czech Center is a coorganizer of the event